Why Atheism and Parenting Conflict

As a parent you are responsible for the well being and happiness, health and welfare of your child. You have to feed and clothe them, teach them to be good people, and take them to school. These little lives, made in your image, depend on you to help them, hold them, shape them and mold them.

Frankly, it’s a real drag and it cuts into the time you could spend chasing college girls or getting drunk. This is why our culture has started to move away from it all. No longer a Christian nation, we now have alternatives. Options! More choices than the Christian west used to offer to the average man or woman.Image result for bad parent

Now, obviously I can’t speak for myself in these matters. As a Christian I am shackled to the religious constraints of selfless care and love for my children and spouse. God hates lies, so he expects me to keep the promises I made when I got married.

You atheists don’t have any idea what that is like.

You can break those vows anytime you wish, or just don’t make any vows at all! But let me tell you, swearing before GOD and man to love, honor, etc. is a heavy deal. And beyond that, God demands I care for and provide for my family. I mean, I have to be INVOLVED. It’s nothing but continuous responsibility. So believe me when I say I understand the appeal of Atheism. You have only your own primitive passions and innate desires to control you. You’re not only free from religion, you’re free from ANYTHING.

An atheist has no reason to get married, or stay married. An atheist has no reason to make vows or keep the vows they make. An atheist has no reason to have kids. Heck! You can LEGALLY have your children murdered by a professional baby killer before they are even born! Talk about an escape hatch! Baby gonna come along and take away your “Drunk at the strip club” time? Nope! Kill.. er, ABORT that little parasite.

Daddy needs a little more ME time.

Image result for bad parent

But even in the event you do let them live, you have no real incentive to pay them more mind than you REALLY have to in order to keep them alive, and believe me when I say it isn’t much. Besides, your desire to care for and nurture your kids is just your DNA trying to replicate itself. It’s just as much a product of random mutations and natural selection as your eye color or ingrown toenails. I know it FEELS like your kids are valuable, but they are the same accidental, decaying matter as the rest of the universe- like that ’89 Buick Lesabre you have rusting away on cinder blocks in the side yard.

Your kids are only valuable if you decide they are valuable to YOU.

You make your own values! So, when parenting is hard, Atheism gives you some sound advice: BE SELFISH! Survival of the fittest can apply to your own family as well as to the rat race or the natural order. Let the little buggers fend for themselves. They know where the Cap’n Crunch and the tv remote are.

Why do the hard thing and parent unless it makes you happy? If you only live once! Why not focus on your own happiness even at the cost of your own kids or spouse or anyone else? As long as there is divorce, infidelity, abortion, and good old fashioned neglect, the American Atheist has lots of good alternatives to being a parent or spouse.

Why else would you cling to a lie as STUPID and indefensible as Atheism?

Please check us out at YouTube.com/ABitOfOrange

Thanks for liking and subscribing, and remember, #JesusLovesYou

Advertisements
This entry was posted in atheism and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Why Atheism and Parenting Conflict

1. jim- says:

You paint a very broad brush. You have no idea what kind of thoughtfulness and love there is in my home. Atheist and Catholics tied for the lowest divorce rates

• Hello Jim,
      I’m not painting anyone with any brush. I am merely pointing out the conflict between Atheism and anything which requires a moral code- between responsibility and survival of the fittest.

I don’t doubt that you and your family love each other. I merely point out that atheism offers no basis to give value to love or priority to your duties as a parent or spouse. On atheism, there is no good and evil, so the difference between loving your children or killing and eating them differs only in the normative evolutionary path our species has taken thus far, and the moral code AGAINST killing one’s children forced on western culture by the Biblical worldview. Other animals eat their young, why should YOU not do so if we are merely animals as Atheism claims?

Also, your love for each other is merely chemical brain states, such as being hungry. When you tell your children you love them, then if they were REALLY atheists, they ought to respond, “Oh, you are?”

Here’s my point- if you love your family and know that loving them is BETTER than killing and eating them, then you have already rejected Atheism. I believe you do love your family. I just want you to see that you are already rejecting atheism. After that, you may see that you have a heavenly father who loves you, and is waiting for you to come home.

Also, I refuse to accept the idea that “Atheist and Catholics tied for the lowest divorce rates.” Perhaps only because atheists are reluctant to get married in the first place. But please send me a reference if this is true, I am open to learning when I am wrong.
      And, as always, thanks for reading and commenting. #JesusLovesYou

• jim- says:

Atheist don’t kill and eat their young, and for the most part hold all others in higher regard than Christians. Funny, the basis of your arguments are bogey man atheists and it couldn’t be farther from the truth. Just a small stat I ran into. .07% to .2% of US prisoners are atheist. Interesting. As far as caring for your young and other creatures Christians are the ones interested in dominating everything and subduing it. All the elements and organisms and life forms have an inherent struggle, a hope if you will to survive, to carry on another day. This includes propagating each species. It is a natural phenomenon that does not need a bible and a god to direct. I’ve read the accounts of Christians bullying their way all over the historical world forcing conversion or death. It is a system that breeds misery and guilt upon all who cross its path.

• Jim, you seem to be missing the point. I didn’t SAY that all atheists kill and eat their young. But answer me this: WHY NOT? Would it be EVIL?
        The basis of my arguments are not some “bogey man atheists” as you claim here. The basis of my arguments are philosophical distinctions. I am making a philosophical argument ABOUT ATHEISM, not describing what I think ATHEISTS Are like. If you read more carefully I think you would see this to be the case. You are arguing against points I NEVER made. That’s called a Straw-man Fallacy.

Once again you claim a stat with no reference, which once again I reject without a resource to substantiate it, and once again I point out that it has NOTHING to do with the point I am making even if it was a substantiated fact. Read my posts again and you will never see me saying “People who claim to be Christians are BETTER PEOPLE and end up in jail LESS than people who claim to be Atheists.” And does your stat really show anything different than the population in general? Atheists are a tiny minority, and that is reflected in jail stats. OK. So what? Does this magically give Atheism an objective moral code? No, it does not. So I don’t know why you would bother bringing it up.

Also, you have NOT “read the accounts of Christians bullying their way all over the historical world forcing conversion or death” because this is what ISLAM does, not Christianity. The Christian church has always grown under persecution. When it becomes established, and is given time to be rich and comfortable, it wilts, as its doing in Europe right now. What you have read is either the popular trend of blaming the church for what Islam does under the ridiculous idea that ALL religions are the same, and so the sins of one is the sins of ALL- or you have been reading internet fiction. And this: “Christians are the ones interested in dominating everything and subduing it” is mindless name calling which is not worth correcting. Don’t waste my time building arguments on bogey man Christians when you know it couldn’t be farther from the truth.

(That’s called a “Call Back.” See, because you said something like that above, and then you DID the very thing you accused me (Falsely) of, and then I quoted you back to you, only… well, you get it. Call back.)

But back to my point, from the worldview of atheism, were I to force you to profess faith in the church or be beheaded, would that be EVIL?
        Can an atheist claim ANYTHING is evil?
        No. Atheism does not allow good or evil.
        DO atheists call things good and evil?
        YES, because they are not stupid enough to actually BE atheists.
        My argument is based on the assumption that atheists are smarter and more moral than atheism.

Please read what I actually said before you go reacting to how you feel about what I said. It will make for a much better conversation.
        thanks.

• jim- says:

This is ridiculously narrow. In the name of god your people slaughtered millions of indigenous people in the americas. Read those accounts before you cast a stone at Islam which is a brother religion to you Abrahamic

• Jim, jim, jim…
        1. False. In the search for GOLD, Europeans killed people- people who were themselves practicing human sacrifices on a regular basis. Find me a bible verse or a doctrine of the Church which commands Christians to kill for gold. It does not exist. Who is wearing blinders, Jim?
        Your example is revisionist history built on an ignorance of what Christianity even is. Where the true church was involved, it brought civilization and education. Where the politicians were involved, I will not be accused of their crimes.
        2. Only a very ignorant person will blame Christianity for EVERY sin ever committed by Europeans or people claiming the name “Christian.” Compare their deeds to the commands of Jesus- if a Christian fails to do as Christ commanded, how do you turn around and blame CHRISTIANITY for those who act UNCHRISTIAN? Christians are not perfect people, we are forgiven people. When we sin, we are proving that we needed to be forgiven. It is absurd for you to pretend that Christians sinning proves Christianity is evil, or somehow on the level of atheism, which has no basis on which to judge between evil and good.
        3. And while very popular, it is just as ignorant to divorce Islam from Mohammed and his example and teaching. I have read enough Islamic sources about their founder and his writings, teaching, and example to know that when Islam spreads through the sword, it is doing as it was always commanded. Mohammed told his followers (and it is in the Koran) to subjugate unbelievers, convert them, or kill them. Jesus commanded his followers to pray for those who persecute them and to turn the other cheek. Who is wearing blinders here, Jim? You cannot link Islam to Christianity is any but the most superficial ways. Once again, your argument is based on ignorance and not truth.
        4. Starting with the foundation of atheism, make the case that, even if it were true, “my people” “slaughtering millions of indigenous people in the americas” was WRONG- EVIL.
        Because that is the whole point of the blog post you are responding to, and the arguments I have made, and the questions you have seemingly ignored.

Jim- is it wrong to slaughter millions of innocent people merely because they refuse to convert to your religion of choice? Is it EVIL?
        HOW on Atheism could you condemn it- or anything- as EVIL?

Please stop trying to change the subject into some silly debate over evils committed in the name of the church, when my whole point is, YOU have no basis on which to call ANYTHING EVIL.
        Once you can be an atheist and judge between objective good and evil, then you can be an atheist who condemns the church for her evils. Until then,
        HOW on Atheism could you condemn it- or anything- as EVIL?
        Can an atheist claim ANYTHING is evil?
        No. Atheism does not allow good or evil.
        DO atheists call things good and evil?
        YES, because they are not stupid enough to actually BE atheists.
        If you intend to defend atheism, then do so. Thus far you have not even tried.

• jim- says:

By the way. I don’t have to prove anything. You do however have the burden of proof. I say their is nothing. You say their is something. Show me something tangeble to prove your myth and I will believe it. You have nothing but philosophical wordsmithing and hairsplitting elastic justification for your religions poor track record

• Nope, if you reject the obvious truth of the Bible, then you are making the ridiculous claims and must offer extraordinary evidence.
        I have all of science, history, and philosophy on my side. Atheism has… well, literally nothing.

• jim- says:

Lol. You are funny. You claim there is a god. The burden is yours to prove it. I don’t have to prove there is nothing that I, you, they, we, or anybody can’t see. You can reason your way into the argument, but in the end you have nothing to show. You don’t know one thing. You have chosen to believe. Nothing more

• Thanks Jim. I’m glad I can make you laugh, but, hey- looks aren’t everything.

And actually, you DO have the burden of proof. You are the one making the ridiculous claims.

YOU are claiming the universe made itself, life made itself, information can write itself with no author, and that the laws of physics and chemistry which cause an increase in ENTROPY actually cause an increase in COMPLEXITY and INFORMATION. That’s beyond absurd, so you have the burden of proof. You have to argue against ALL of established scientific laws. That’s a big burden of proof.

You are claiming to be a self, one unified, self aware mind, capable of logic and reason and discerning between good and evil- yet none of those things CAN be true if atheism were true, so you are making a ridiculous claim and you have the burden of proof. You have to argue against ALL know laws of logic. That’s a big burden of proof.

And I am asserting that you already know that God exists. You have already acknowledged much of a Biblical worldview and rejected much of an atheistic worldview. Which means, you have to argue against your own religious professions of faith. That’s a big burden of proof.

Or you can stop trying to defend the impossible, stop trying to avoid thinking about your own worldview, and just ask more good questions. I sincerely believe that you are not stupid enough to be an atheist. You need to believe that too.
        Thanks for writing in. Let me know if you have questions. I’m here to help.

• jim- says:

I get your point, but all you have for your proof is a book that claims itself true which is a nonsensical argument. It is also filled with things that are not true. Which ones are you selecting? I have no burden of proof whatsoever. The universe just is, and if I can’t explain in detail how that happened it doesn’t make you right based on a book that claims it’s right. The Quran does the same thing. And I don’t believe that either, but it would be just as valid if I did.

• With all due respect Jim, you really should be asking questions and not making arguments if this is your level of understanding. I’m not trying to put you down, but you CLEARLY do not know the first thing about Biblical apologetics. I mean, “all you have for your proof is a book that claims itself true”? This is either a sorry Straw Man or you REALLY know NOTHING of the 2,000 years of answers given by the church- answers which go well beyond Biblical criticism and into history, archaeology, philosophy, and every branch of science. It was the church which gave birth to science and philosophy in the west for more than a thousand years, much of which is still accepted today even by secular scientists.

Its absolutely NOT true that having a book we claim to be true is ALL WE HAVE. And frankly, it’s not a bad starting place. What could you even claim was its weak point? That its written in book form or that we think it’s true?

But I suggest you stop by my homework resource site for a little taste of some of the answers we have to support and prove and defend the Biblical worldview. It’s here: https://abitoforangeacademy.wordpress.com/
        Its a work in progress, but it covers a lot of different topics and is all material I have found useful in the past.

Yes, other religions claim to be true. Some people claim the earth is flat. Does the fact that we have two different models of the earth’s shape, both defended passionately by those who believe, prove that the earth HAS no shape? Or that there is no earth at all? Obviously not. Where two ideas conflict, either one is wrong or both are (depending on the argument). Claiming something is true does not make it valid. Refusing to believe it does not make it untrue. You must weigh the evidence for each and see if they stand or fall. Once again, I believe you are smart enough to do this, or I should not bother replying when you leave comments.

Check out the Academy and let me know if you have questions on any of the topics you discover. I am here to help.

• jim- says:

And I will add, that no matter what you say, I know that nothing in religion ever worked. Prayer was never answered although we certainly did some hairsplitting to try and justify it, and the ambiguous conjecture never ends with faith. Every one else it’s doing it wrong. I know everyone on the planet could pray for a year, and not grow a limb on any amputees, or feed Burundi, or change the will of a “perfect god” that already knows your needs but fails to help, and that if he existed is a cruel god, capricious and uncaring that is going to destroy everyone that doesn’t bow down and worship him. He is the ultimate example of vanity.

• 1. You are wrong.
        2. This is an emotional outburst which is not worth replying to.
        3. Go do some homework.
        4. Let me know what you learn.

• jim- says:

Bartolome De Las Casas “A Short Account of the Destruction of the Indies” and then get back to me. He was there. You wear blinders!

Liked by 1 person

2. Amanda says:

• Greetings again, Amanda. You have told me how you FEEL, but do you have any REASON for your comments? If I am wrong, I’m open to learning.
      And as always, thanks for reading and commenting.

• Amanda says:

I told you what I think actually. And yeah, my reason is common sense and decency haha. Only a theist would make such ridiculous discriminatory comments and actually expect to be taken seriously

Liked by 2 people

• You are not going to believe this, but I looked up “Hypocrisy” at Dictionary.com and I found this example statement: “Only a theist would make such ridiculous discriminatory comments.”
        What are the odds? Here YOU are bashing “theists” – discriminating against all theists as being “ridiculous and discriminatory” and “lacking common sense and decency”, and there, in the dictionary… Well, I was surprised.

Sarcasm aside, you DO know that you didn’t explain, defend, or prove anything, right? You started off with name calling and when asked to defend your position you have stooped to MORE name calling.
        You can see that, right?
        What you said was, “Atheists have no reason to get married? How discriminatory & frankly ignorant. It should be a crime to indoctrinate children into that sick [swear words]” which offers NO defense of your position or even an attempt to debunk mine, and now you are doing more name calling.

You really have not told me what you think, you have only expressed how you FEEL. Please, if I am wrong, then explain HOW I am wrong. Point out my error so that I can learn. Show the fault in my logic and reason, or my dependence on false assumptions. But if all you can do is call me names, then you must realize at some level that you may hate what I said, but you also agree with me.
        At least let that make you think.

• Amanda says:

You cant seriously be trying to defend the statement “atheists have no reason to get married”, that’s insanely absurd.
        Marriage has existed for far longer than Christianity has.

• Yes, marriage predates Christianity, but NOT a relationship with the one true God. It was GOD who invented marriage back in Genesis. Marriage did not EVOLVE.
        But then, neither did we.
        And what I am defending is the idea that, if atheism is true, then marriage is meaningless, and if you REALLY believed Atheism, then you would have no reason to get married.
        Feel free to make a case if you think I am wrong, by which I mean give logical reasons leading to a conclusion, not merely your emotional response to my statements.

3. shiarrael says:

I read these philosophical arguments a lot. Though they are almost never prefaced as such, so I wonder whether they’re not intended as atheist-bait (or bash?) instead 😛

I’m sorry, but even if I take the philosophy bait, the question I haven’t gotten a reasonable answer to yet remains.

If this is what atheists should act like, why don’t they?
    If these are the tenets of their worldview, why are their actions in such contrast?

Elephants should trample people and houses and anything in their way on a regular basis, because they can, and because there’s no compelling reason for them not to. Sometimes they even have good reasons.
    But they don’t.

Sure, we could argue philosophically about elephants being able to flatten villages galore. Might be fun,
    Or we could examine what elephants are actually like.
    Also fun, and much more interesting.

• Greetings shiarrael,
      Not bashing ATHEISTS, my friend. Atheism. It is the ISM which is stupid, not the people who have been fooled into thinking it acceptable. At least, not exclusively. I think we all have our stupid, and maybe every one of us on any given day, but I have never said Atheists are all EVIL or STUPID. Mainly, I think they are lazy agnostics who need to do more homework. Arguments about morality are NOT based on the idea that Christians are more moral, but only that all of us have the same basic understanding of morality, the knowledge that good and evil exist. However, ATHEISM does not even ALLOW for morality to exist, and thus no atheist is actually foolish enough to be an atheist. They are already borrowing from the Biblical worldivew, they simply don’t realize it. My aim is to help them see that they are NOT atheists- they are not stupid and evil enough to be atheists.

And if I may confess something- I think watching elephants flatten a village would be fun to watch. This is due to my imagination being its own cartoon network, and also because, like every one else, part of me is evil and uncaring. But that’s how we know we need to be saved from our sins. That’s how we know we need Jesus.
      To see more on an examination of atheism (and maybe elephants) please see the Atheism playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9H1r9fw21g5hEYJfyxxHm4-yGhpyFc9_
      and thanks for reading.

4. vgjytfyht ryrg says:

(A-)- lack of.
    Theism- belief in god(s).
    Atheism- lack of belief in god(s).

Atheism means nothing more or less. It’s not any more of a choice than anything else you may believe in.

While most atheists are areligious, there are some who are religious. While most atheists do not believe in absolute morals, the majority of them are capable of compassion, just like any Christian. There are several arbitrary traditions that most areligious atheists still engage in despite their roots in religion, such as marriage.

Some atheists don’t think of themselves as such! Some atheists were just never made to adopt a religion or god growing up and never felt the need to do so.

Not every theistic person is religious, either, nor does every religious person share the same values as Christians.

Your entire assessment of atheists relies on a misunderstanding about what atheism is.

For the sake of the following argument, let’s assume that you had irrefutable proof that no gods exist and that religious were absolute truths. How would you behave?

Would you suddenly stop valuing the lives of the people around you? Would you stop loving the people you claimed to love when you were still religious and theistic? Would you lose the ability to empathize?

If not, why don’t you provide atheists with the same benefit of the doubt? In that scenario, you’d be an areligious atheist by definition and you would have proven that you don’t need a god nor objective morality to care about others and think critically about why you do the things you do. Everything you do and feel will be according to your own values, which aren’t going to just change at the drop of a hat simply because it’d net you some sort of benefit.

If you would suddenly stop caring about the life of other humans, then it’s not because you became an atheist, it’s because you were already an inconsiderate person at best or a malicious sociopath at worst, who was being kept in check by their fear of what God would do to you if you didn’t follow his rules.

We’re not a bunch of dumb animals that need to be constantly told what to do or how to feel.

• Thank you for your comment.
      In short, I have never asserted the idea that atheists are all murderous racists. The point I make is that ATHEISM is a stupid religion with no basis for morality, and I make this point to show that NO ONE is stupid enough to be an atheist, as I have confidence that you know murder is evil, rape is evil, lies are evil, etc. The entire argument hinges on the idea that self-professing “Atheists” are NOT actually atheists because they know better. But because they know better, they are already rejecting atheism and embracing a Biblical worldview- they just don’t realize it yet. That is what I am trying to help you see.

To learn what atheism is in detail, what its orthodoxy is, and why it is actually too stupid for anyone to believe, as well as several detailed explanations as to why your definition of “atheism” fails, please see the Atheism playlist here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9H1r9fw21g5hEYJfyxxHm4-yGhpyFc9_
      And thanks for watching!