Many people want to know if we Young Earth Creationists can make a case for our position beyond merely poking holes in the Deep Time/Evolutionary position. The answer is yes. Here are just a few examples of scientific observations which prove the deep time/evolutionary timeline to be impossible, and that the earth is, at most, .02% the age we are told by evolutionary dogma (note- NOT 2%, but 0.02%):
- The faint sun paradox: The sun is getting brighter over time, which means it was darker in the past. If the earth is 4.5 billion years old, then the earth would have been frozen solid at the time life was supposedly evolving. But even worse, the ice and snow would have reflected back enough light to make the earth even colder, and it would have never thawed.
Deep time Ice age models have the same problem. Once an ice age begins, how do you make it stop? No models have an answer, except those which show the ice age as a result of the global flood (As described in Genesis).
The earth CANNOT be older than 3.8 billion years or the surface would be frozen solid and life could not exist.
We’ve just cut down the age of the earth by a billion years based on observational science.
- The Moon is Receding. We can measure the distance to the moon, and we see it is receding. The moon moves away a few centimeters every year. This means, in the past, it was closer. Two billion years ago, it would have been touching the earth, but that would have destroyed both.
The earth and moon CANNOT be as old as 2 billion years or neither would exist.
We’ve just cut down the age of the earth by HALF based on observational science.
- Erosion. Even if the slowest erosion rate of only 1 mm per thousand years is used, based on an average of 623 meters above sea level for the North American continent, the continent would have eroded to sea level in only 623 million years.
If we allow the SLOWEST rate of erosion to happen for 623 Million Years, the North American Continent would be eroded down to sea level, yet we find Dinosaur bones and many rock layers which are alleged to be hundreds of millions or Billions of years old.
Thus, the earth cannot be as old as 623 Million years (and neither can any of the fossils we find).
We’ve just cut the age of the earth down by 4 Billion years using observational science.
- Ocean Saltiness. If seawater originally contained no sodium (salt) and the sodium accumulated at today’s rates, then today’s ocean saltiness would be reached in only 42 million years—only about 1/70 the three billion years evolutionists propose.The oceans could have reached their present amount of salinity, starting from PURE water with absolutely NO salt in only 42 Million years. And we have no reason to assume the oceans WERE pure distilled water to begin with.
Thus, the earth is not 4.5 Billion years old.
We’ve just cut the age of the earth down by 4.46 Billion years using observational science.
- Sea Floor. Every year water and wind erode about 20 billion tons of dirt and rock debris from the continents and deposit them on the seafloor… Yet the average thickness of all these sediments globally over the whole seafloor is not even 1,300 feet (400 m). Some sediments appear to be removed as tectonic plates slide slowly (an inch or two per year) beneath continents. An estimated 1 billion tons of sediments are removed this way each year. The net gain is thus 19 billion tons per year. At this rate, 1,300 feet of sediment would accumulate in less than 12 million years, not billions of years.
If the oceans were around for 3 Billion years, we would expect 250 TIMES more sediment than we see today. Thus, the earth cannot be more than 12 million years old.
We’ve cut down the age of the earth by 4.488 Billion years using observational science.
- The magnetic field is measured to be decaying at 5% per century, and archaeological studies have shown it to have been 40% stronger in 1000 AD than today. Based on these measurements, we know that if we go back 10,000 years, the earth’s magnetic field would be strong enough to kill us all and everything else on earth. (A YEC model would begin the decay some time around the flood, meaning it has actually been decaying for less than half of that time.)
Thus, the earth cannot be as old as 10,000 years.
We’ve cut the age of the earth down by 4.99998 Billion years using observational science.
We haven’t proved the earth to be EXACTLY 6,000 years old merely by science, but with the Bible, we’ve got a good case for it. We have cut the age of the earth down by 99.9998% from the deep time, Evolutionary dogma. With science.
That will do for today.
Remember that the processes just described give a MAXIMUM age, not absolute ages. What these and MANY other observations show is a MAXIMUM age. Clearly if the earth can be no older than 12 million years, it CAN be as young as 6,000 years, but it CANNOT be as old as 13 million years.
The double edged sword of deep time assumptions is that they lead to these conclusions. It’s called uniformitarianism. We are told to ASSUME that the slow, gradual process we observe today have always been happening at the same slow gradual rate. But then that leads to conclusions which prove the earth and solar system cannot be BILLIONS of years old, or even millions.
To save the deep time models, evolutionists abandon uniformitarianism and come up with some rescuing device which says things must have been different in the unobserved past. But once you abandon uniformitarianism you LITERALLY have nothing on which to build deep time except a rejection of Genesis as literal history. But you will recall that Genesis is being rejected as literal history because people believe that SCIENCE has shown that it cannot be true. They believe that “science” has proven deep time. It’s circular reasoning which has at its starting point a rejection of the Bible. Science doesn’t prove deep time or evolution. Observational science shows THAT faith fails, and that the Bible fits the facts.