Where an Atheist MUST put their Faith!

I had an atheist write in to tell me that “Atheism requires no faith and is not a worldview.” He argued that an atheist is a person who believes that the claim that there IS a God is “unsupported by good evidence.”

Now, I think I have clearly explained what the tenets of orthodox Atheism are in several videos and blog posts. Clearly it is a worldview. In fact, I call it a religion. But on a deeper level, this person was mistaken. Atheism DOES require faith.

Image result for atheist

For instance, even on his own definition, the atheist has to believe- that is, have faith in– the idea that there is no evidence proving God’s existence. I mean, if you don’t put your faith in THAT proposition, why would you call yourself an atheist? And once you decide something so foundation as to reject the existence of God, you DO have a worldview. That you can’t see it doesn’t make it go away.

Consider this:

• Is it POSSIBLE that this person can KNOW that theism is “unsupported by good evidence”?
  • Is it possible that he knows enough to claim with certainty that theism is not supported by good evidence?
  • Is it even possible that he can say he knows all of the proposed or existing or possible evidence for God’s existence, and then be able to logically reject all of it as insufficient with justifiable cause?
  • Could he ever prove, even to himself, that there IS NO GOOD EVIDENCE for God’s existence? None in all the universe? None in all of human history? None in existence now but simply absent from the conversations he’s had on FaceBook?

Obviously not. If he believes this claim, it is believed on blind faith, not on evidence.

This person MEANS to say he has not heard any evidence he accepts as convincing, but that is a VERY different claim. It is the difference between someone claiming “THERE IS NO EVIDENCE for a ROUND EARTH!” or that person saying “I have never heard anything I FEEL is convincing evidence for a round earth!”

This Atheist, like ALL atheists, must take on BLIND FAITH the assertion that there isn’t sufficient evidence for the existence of God. He CANNOT claim it as a fact to be known nor as something observed or quantified. Atheism is indefensible. There is not a SINGLE argument which can be made in its favor. This is why Atheist must resort to rejecting ALL of the evidence and arguments FOR God’s existence. However, the claim that THERE IS NO SUFFICIENT EVIDENCE for God’s existence is a universal claim that NONE of them can ever make.

It would be like claiming there is NO EVIDENCE that an elephant has ever painted a picture. You may DOUBT that elephants can do such a thing, or that they would ever even want to. But you cannot say with CONFIDENCE that in all the jungles, circuses and zoos of the world that NOT ONE elephant has ever painted a picture and that NO EVIDENCE exists of such a painting. You could never PROVE conclusively that nowhere in the world is there evidence of a painting being made by an elephant. There is no scientific test nor mathematical theorem which would be used to argue for that position conclusively. You would have to make that claim on pure faith.

And then someone like me would come along and show you this.

Related image

(That’s an elephant painting a self portrait.)

At which point, if you’re like the Atheists, you loudly insist that this is fake, offer no evidence that it is fake, and insist that you don’t HAVE the burden of proof and so you don’t HAVE to give reasons why you think it’s a fake! It’s ME who has to prove that this is a REAL elephant making a REAL painting! Somehow you get to simply reject photographic evidence with a hand waving dismissal, because, reasons.

And somehow you will continue to tell people that there is NO EVIDENCE for the existence of painting elephants.

In conclusion, I already know that some atheist is going to write in and tell me that Atheism is more like claiming that there is no evidence for an elephant having flown a motorcycle to the moon. He will not explain WHY this metaphor works. He will just assert it blindly as something which he hopes we will all agree could never happen, thus reflecting his feeling that God’s existence is impossible. But when asked why God’s existence is as impossible as an elephant flying to the moon on a motorcycle, he will wave his hand and dismiss the question, insisting that it is ME who has to do the proving. Because, you know. Reasons.

Want to learn more? I suggest you surf on over to Youtube.com/ABITOFORANGE
and check out the ATHEISM playlist!

#JesusLovesYou

Advertisements
This entry was posted in atheism, Philosophy and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Where an Atheist MUST put their Faith!

1. nationofnope says:

Huston, we have a problem.

Again.

A conceptual confusion, based on divergent paradigms, which causes conformational biases, which causes flawed reasoning, which leads to erroneous conclusions. This is common and correctable to anyone how cares if their version of reality is based on reliable mechanism for determining the most probable outcomes to questions of our shared reality. Too deep? Sorry for my condescending attitude but really your just making shit up to fit your worldview.

This is becoming tiresome and painful to watch. Perfectly normal, intelligent people trying to describe their God and why they believe. Their religion is obviously important to them yet most respond as if they had never considered the question. When voicing their reasoning and see where logic is taking them they begin to struggle. At some point the reasoning boils down to faith. To justify belief in the least probable outcome requires faith.

Now the painful part begins. Special pleadings, arguments from ignorance, incredulity, all sorts of mental gymnastics. Then retrenchment followed by another attempt to tap dance around and avoid simple true-false, yes-no questions like what constitutes evidence or morality. Too many people come to a place where they will jettison reason and substitute it with faith. Thus Myrmidons are manifested. Obedient, unquestioning and potentially lethal. This world view is primitive at it’s core. No more, no less. No special pleading please.

P.s. atheism has two categories. Hard and Soft. Hard are Anti-theists like myself that reject the god claims as unsupportable and view religion as an impediment to humanity’s (our species) long term survival or a similar variant. Soft atheism, is any type of atheism where a person does not believe in the existence of any deities but does not explicitly assert that there are none. None of this speaks to any concept of faith familiar to me. Faith and Atheism are not mirrored images of each other. Antonyms of faith are disbelief, distrust, doubt, misgiving, skepticism, suspicion. There’s simply no why that faith, as applied to religion, has any correlation with atheism.

• YOU, my friend, are one of the hard working professional atheists! This is a GREAT page of ambiguous atheistic feedback with no direct correlation to my post.
      I’d use this as a monologue for a theater audition.
      But,
      1. This has no direct correlation to my post, giving me no indication that you actually read it.
      2. Your definitions of atheism are somewhere between wrong and useless. I made a video explaining why: https://youtu.be/3TIsAGMzmLQ
      Check it out, enjoy, and thanks for copy and pasting your comments here!

2. Arkenaten says:

Then please list the evidence you have that unequivocally demonstrates that :
    a) there is a god, &
    b) that this god is the one you worship.

Thanks.

3. essiep says:

I’m practice, you can prove an idea beyond reasonable doubt.

4. Spot on. I was always told hand-held lighters blowing up in one’s hand was an urban myth – until I tried lighting my pipe (years ago) in my car and the dang lighter blew up in my hand. I became a believer of the “myth” at that point. The atheist has lighters blowing up in his hand every day, yet refuses to admit he even smokes. Crazy stuff.

5. Reblogged this on The Recovering Legalist and commented:
    I stumbled across this blog and thought this post was totally worth sharing, especially right after my post about “evidence.” Give the author a shout-out and let him know I said “hello.”

6. Well said. I love your painting elephant. I sometimes like to say there is absolutely no evidence that hairless apes are talking to one another using strange symbols passed across the world by an invisible wi/fi signal….. and yet here we are.

7. shelldigger says:

Nice strawman you are fighting there.

You make the claim atheism is a religion. It is not. It is a lack of believing in an imaginary friend.

“Is it POSSIBLE that this person can KNOW that theism is “unsupported by good evidence”?”

Yes. Your average atheist has done a lot of research, gone through many years of questioning the absurdities they have been told, only to finally understand religion is a lie. A con. An afterlife insurance policy they never actually have to deliver on.

“Is it possible that he knows enough to claim with certainty that theism is not supported by good evidence?”

Again, yes. Your magic book is proof only that fallible individuals with a con to maintain, wrote a book. Nothing more.

“Is it even possible that he can say he knows all of the proposed or existing or possible evidence for God’s existence, and then be able to logically reject all of it as insufficient with justifiable cause?”

I repeat. Your magic book is proof only that fallible individuals with a con to maintain, wrote a book. Nothing more.

“Could he ever prove, even to himself, that there IS NO GOOD EVIDENCE for God’s existence? None in all the universe? None in all of human history? None in existence now but simply absent from the conversations he’s had on FaceBook?”

Maybe you could show some evidence that your god actually exists. I’ll wait. But won’t be holding my breath.

The argument from elephants can do self portraits? What sort of buffoon are you?

Liked by 1 person

• Greetings Shelly!
      Claiming Atheism is a religion is NOT a strawman. Maybe you simply don’t know the tenets of your own faith. Lucky for you I’ve made several great videos about it! Here’s one now!

Of course, maybe you’re just using the word “Atheism” incorrectly. Don’t feel bad if this is you. Lots of people do this.
      Here’s a video I made showing why:

You seem to have listed a bunch of unsubstantiated blanket assertions which, naturally, fit within the tenets of your own religion and the foolishness which must follow, but it also shows a terrible lack of understanding of what the Bible is and what it teaches. Let’s cut to the most important parts:
      Proof that God exists? Well, on one hand you don’t need it. You already know that the God of the Bible is not only real but also your creator and judge. But if you need to see that more clearly, then stop by
      and see how this question has been answered over and over for thousands of years.
      And lastly, you ask “What sort of buffoon are you?”
      That is a very good question. How many kinds are there?
      Anyway, thanks for writing in!

• Leon says:

lacking belief in something is believing that there is nothing to believe (in that domain), which is an act requiring faith.

now take a step back and ask yourself why you can believe anything. at all.

if you believe that this universe has no purpose (which is a necessary prerequisite for believing that there is nothing to believe), then that is only possible if you believe that it (and everything in it) happened accidentally (randomly), for no particular reason.

this necessarily includes your own thoughts, conclusions and beliefs, which makes those thoughts, conclusions and beliefs undependable.

are your thoughts, conclusions and beliefs undependable?

if so (or if not), then how would you know?

that you can believe anything — including that there is nothing to believe — is irrefutable evidence that Atheism is a false belief.

Liked by 1 person

8. john zande says:

Clearly it is a worldview

Fair enough. Can you tell me what content athesim has.

I look forward to your answer.

9. Nan says:

I can’t help but ask … why do you feel the need to attack atheism if it is “indefensible”?

• Greetings, Nan! In the words of Jesus, “You shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.”
      People have to be talked out of horrible and stupid things all of the time, like Crack Cocaine, bell bottoms, suicide, and the purchase of movies staring Adam Sandler. In each case, there is no defense for the poor choice which is rational, but it is the loving thing to talk your friend out of it. So as long as people make the horrible and self destructive choice to embrace atheism, people like me will choose to do the loving thing and talk them out of it.
      thanks for your question!